MB2-719 practice questions
You need to define a dynamic segment. Which three options can you use? Each correct answer presents a complete solution. A. Flow
C. Advanced Find
D. Manual Add
You need to create a landing page that includes a form to capture contact information from visitors to your company’s website. What should you do?
A. Create a page and add a form by using the form lookup control.
B. Create a page and drag and drop a form from the toolbox.
C. Create a page and add a form from the Form Gallery.
D. Create a page and change the page purpose to contact capture.
You create a customer journey. Which three metrics are available from Customer Journey Insights? Each correct answer presents a complete solution.
A. custom channel activities
B. total clicks
C. number of page visits
D. total forwards
E. number of submissions
You have completed the design of your marketing email and now want to publish it. What is required before your email can go live?
A. Add a customer journey.
B. Perform an error check.
C. Complete an inbox preview.
D. Perform a basic preview.
You need to add HTML markup to a marketing email message before sending the email. What should you do?
A. Add a text content block to the designer, change the style to HTML, and add the HTML markup to it.
B. Add an HTML content block to the designer and add the HTML markup to it.
C. Add the HTML in the designated related area of the email message.
D. Add the HTML in the designated design area of the email message.
You need to create a marketing form. Which three form types can you use? Each correct answer presents a complete solution.
A. forward to a friend
B. landing page
C. event registration
D. subscription center
E. subscription list
Where should you specify the sales ready score?
A. customer journey
B. lead record
C. landing page
D. lead scoring model
Your company uses LinkedIn to synchronize lead records. Creation of new lead records has stopped. You need to identify the cause for the issue. Which three items could cause the issue? Each correct answer presents a complete solution.
A. The LinkedIn company page was deleted.
B. There are active and inactive lead matching strategy records for LinkedIn. Both have lead matching fields.
C. The LinkedIn user profile credentials changed.
D. The system administrator security role is removed from the LinkedIn Campaign Manager user.
E. No new leads have responded to the company’s LinkedIn ad campaig
You create a customer journey for a group of contact records. You need to make the following modifications to the journey: ✑ Wait for a contact to respond to a survey and then move the contact along in the journey based on values submitted in the survey. ✑ Move 60 percent of the contacts on a different path in the journey than the other 40 percent. What should you do?
A. Add invoke workflow and survey tiles.
B. Add scheduler and survey tiles.
C. Add event and record update tiles.
D. Add trigger and splitter tiles.
A marketing team member adds a lead scoring rule with multiple conditions. The rule is not working as expected and fails to run against multiple lead records. You need to identify the cause for the rule failure. What is the likely cause of the failure?
A. Lead records were not related to contact records.
B. Lead records were not included in a business workflow.
C. Lead records did not have an email address.
D. Lead records were not related to account records.
You need to see how your email would render on different email clients and platforms. What should you do?
A. Use the Basic Preview option.
B. Use the Inbox Preview option.
C. Test and send the email.
D. Use the HTML Preview option.
You observe that some marketing emails that are part of customer journeys are not sent out. Information about the emails displays in Customer Journey Blocked Email Insights. You need to determine the cause for the issue. What are three possible reasons why the emails are not sent? Each correct answer presents a complete solution.
A. A Dynamics 365 internal error prevents email sends.
B. The contact has unsubscribed from receiving marketing emails.
C. The contact has been added to a suppression segment.
D. The contact record has a lowered General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) consent level.
E. The contact’s email server was not online when the email was sent.
You are creating an email template. Which two content blocks can you add? Each correct answer presents a complete solution.
You plan to publish a customer journey. You need to ensure that the journey includes all required content and settings. Which option on the Customer journey command bar should you use?
A. Save as Template
D. Check for Errors